Saturday 21 July 2012

Supermarket Saver Challenge...The Results Are In



Last week I blogged about supermarket prices. I had noticed that the supermarket low cost brand (I shop at Sainsbury's so used their basics range) was significantly cheaper than the brand prices and I wanted to see how much I could save if I only brought products from this range.

So yesterday I set out to see just how little I could spend on my weekly food shop. Everything I brought was in the basics range and I noted down the prices of the equivalent branded product, although I did get a few odd looks from the staff.

The results were quite frankly astonishing! Now, our weekly food bill for a family of four can vary from around £90-£140 which I feel is way too much. This is for a fairly ordinary weekly shop. We are certainly not drinking champagne and eating truffles (although that would be lovely!).
I had thought that my bill might be about £20 cheaper than usual so I was amazed to see that it came in at £38.15. If I had done the same shop buying brands it would have cost me £96.75 so that's a saving of £58.60. I was in shock and so excited with my saving that I might have kissed the checkout boy had he not looked so young and frightened!

I won't list my whole shop but some of the big differences that really stood out for me were:

basics stuffing 15p/Paxo stuffing £2.09 (I mean it all gets covered in gravy anyway)
basics tea 27p/Twinnings tea £3.55
basics jam 35p / Bonn Mamman £2.24
basics c17p/ Coca Cola £2.24

Its really quite shocking isn't it?

And how does it taste?...surprisingly fine. We had pitta breads and olives for lunch which were lovely. As I write I'm having a nice up of tea made with a low cost teabag and eating a gingerbread biscuit and I honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and the brands. However with some products you can tell the difference a little bit - the bread is definitely thinner and there are no lovely chunky strawberries in the jam. But, on the whole, its all fine and definitely worth the savings I've made.

However there were a few things that did worry me about buying in this range. Firstly the quality of the meat and eggs. I do like to buy free-range eggs and the eggs in the basics range are "barn eggs" which means the chickens get to roam around in the barn but are not let out into the fresh air. I also am not sure about the quality of life for animals that provide the meat for the low cost range. Whilst I'm sure the food tastes fine I think I would be prepared to pay a bit more to feel more sure of its provenance.

I also confess that there was one thing I couldn't face buying in the basics range and that were the nappies. They were very cheap but I was worried they wouldn't be as good quality and didn't really want my son's bottom to have to take part in my trial! However if anyone can reassure me they are fine then I am more than happy to use them.

So that's £58.60 in the bank. Even if I do that once a month it means we will save over £700 a year. Enough to pay for a holiday or to go into our children's savings fund.

But enough about me. I can't wait to hear how everyone else did so please use the linky attached or feel free to just post your results in the comments box.



16 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing! My shopping is usually a mix of brands. I go for the Value brand on things where I can't tell the difference such as Bran Flakes & Orange Juice. But next time I'm going to follow your lead & be more adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually been surprised by how many things I couldn't tell the difference on. We had a pork casserole today made with the basics pork and it was really nice and now having some basics crisps that were 50p v's £1.99 for our usual kettle crisps!

      Delete
  2. Well done. You have saved an amazing amount. I must say, though, that I like a certain brand of tea and agree with you re eggs and meat. We also make our own bread (using a bread machine) and it is lovely and also our own yogurt. Otherwise, yes, we use the cheaper ranges and can save a bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves his tea too - and wasn't too happy with me buying the low cost option! I'd love to make my own yoghurt. Do you have to buy a culture to make it with though?

      Delete
  3. Fantastic. That's a family day out. I must confess I keep the branded sauces and Philadelphia, but apart from that you are absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! I felt a lot less guilty when we went out today as we'd saved so much on the shop we could enjoy spending a bit more on a family day out!

      Delete
  4. I've been trading down in a small way for a while but not for the whole shop. What did you do where there wasn't a 'value' option? Did you do without or did you buy the cheapest available?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make a good point - that buying only from the budget range does restrict what you can get. For this shop when there was not a budget option I just went without and made a subsitution i.e there was not budget special K so got budget weetabix instead. I did feel quite restricted though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great thing to do, I can't believe the savings, the only Thngs I'm concerned about is the healthiness of the low value things such as meat, particularly mince as it has loads of at in. Otherwise definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I found it really hard to buy the meat as I knew it wouldn't be as good quality but made myself do it!

      Delete
  7. What a great saving you made! As a harderned shopper of the Sainsburys Basics range I would say their basics nappies are not worth it. Poor quality and certainly not as durable as their other own brand nappies (I personally only use their eco range. They are fab.) As for eggs and meat, again for me personally it's a no no. The problem with basics meat, aside from the issues with animal welfare (even though Sainsburys animal welfare rules are considerably better than certain other large supermarkets) this meat has a much higher water content so therefore it's not cost effective in the long run. If you like smoked salmon howver, sainsburys do an excellent pack of smoked salmon off cuts for about 90 pence. The fish is from a sustainable source and, even though it doesn't look particularly pretty, is pretty tasty. Ideal for sandwiches or for use in pasta dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about the nappies - I had thought that they might not be the best quality - and in the long term its a bit of a false economy if they don't last as long.
      I love smoked salmon so I'm going to go and have a look for those offcuts!

      Delete
  8. I've joined your blog hop! I will be doing my monthly online shop towards the weekend and will write up my results then. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to it - I hope you save a good ammount!

      Delete
  9. Cannot believe the difference! Especially the yearly saving is amazing. When it's put in stats like that it really makes you rethink your approach. Fab idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the yearly figure is quite amazing. It goes to show how much you can save if you really have to!

      Delete