Wednesday 11 July 2012

You're Not So Super Nanny!


I have a confession..I don't like Super Nanny.

I don't like her bossy manner, I don't like her power suits, I don't like the way she barks orders and fills in charts. In fact she reminds me a little bit of the dog trainer Barbara Woodhouse. I don't like the way she tries to sympathise with the parents when really the producers might as well super impose a big thought bubble over her head with the words "loosers" on it.


Maybe some of this is sour grapes as the naughty step has been an abject failure in our house. My four year old is pretty nonplussed by having to sit on a step for four minutes and basically seems to weigh up whether the joy of committing the "crime" is greater than the “punishment” of having to sit on a rather comfortable step. Usually the crime wins.



We also have a two year old who absolutely has to do what his big sister does. This includes sitting on the naughty step. However being a bright spark he has cottoned onto the fact that you only get sent to this mythical step if you do something naughty, so now if his sister is told off he comes up, bops me and then runs off unbidden to sit next to his sibling where they both giggle together and have a great time laughing at Mummy. So great seems to be the lure of this step that we may as well give up calling it the naughty step and perhaps just go the whole hog, call it the step of paradise, strew it with rose petals and festoon it with balloons.


I have to say that a tiny bit of me objects to being given help with parenting from someone with no kids themselves. I also feel  this way about the notorious / much loved (please delete as applicable) Gina Ford. I can see that it’s pretty easy to discipline kids when you have no emotional involvement. You probably don't worry if they like you or if they feel miserable and you have not been worn down by sleepless nights and temper tantrums. I also feel that these so called super nannies have no investment in the child's future growth. Their job is to deal with issues in the here and now - to get the baby sleeping through the night or tame the two year olds tantrums. It is doubtful that they will ever meet the child again and so they don't particularly care if they are affected in later life by being forced into time out or denied a night time breast-feed.



I know everyone has different parenting styles but for me I find that instead of Super Nanny I prefer to  subscribe to the ever popular "Haribo School of Discipline". This school of thought recommends bribing your child with a small jelly sweet when you want them to behave. My children would crawl over hot coals for just a whiff of a cola bottle and so far this method has never failed us!

9 comments:

  1. Hehe. Brilliant. You're children sound like such fun and bright little things (maybe not such fun for you at the time of bopping though). I have to admit, I do enjoy watching Super Nanny but like you, i'd never impose any of her (and Gina Ford) non-attached, un-emotional methods. I agree that what works now may affect them in the future! As for the Haribo school, I graduated from that class. You must have been in a different year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah glad to meet another Haribo school graduate ha ha!!

      Delete
  2. This made me chuckle. The naughty step in your house sounds about as productive as it is in ours. I think when it comes to children, mother always knows best, and each child is so different that what works for one won't necessarily work for another. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it made you laugh! Yes I agree that all children are different and different things work for them.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a naughty corner in our house where the 3-year-old has to sit if she's naughty. It does sometimes work but lately she's been making her teddies go and sit there! We do have a reward chart to reward good behaviour and I have to say that works a treat

      Delete
    2. reward charts are great - I've actually been looking for some as my daughter starts school in september and I will need something to persuade her to get up and dressed in time for the school run!

      Delete
  4. Totally agree. Not really a fan of Supernanny and seeing as she neither has children or any real qualifications/credentials/professional working experience or participation in scientific studies etc other than babysitting and nannying, I don't really feel that warrents being able to be a parenting "expert" who devises parenting methods and strategies and teaches parenting skills. To me that just seems like someone's opinion that's their personal experience, upbringing, perspective and so on, with no real scientific study or anything to base their expert methods and opinions . I guess I just feel that an expert in a field should at least have plenty of professional experience over a broad range of roles within the field they r experting in, or plenty of study/qualifications ......or as a parenting expert at the very least have kids if u don't have the former. I mean, Ive never studied or worked in medicine or surgery or anything like that, but I have plenty of personal opinions or thoughts on diseases and treatments etc from watching news, doco's and researching myself on the net or books or stuff like that and Ive worked in a GP's office for a few yrs......but I doubt if I got my opinions in the public eye people would start following my ideas and beliefs and taking my "expert" advice as I have no qualifications or professional work experience other than assisting a doctor for a few yrs....... Why is parenting and child raising any different ?? People form opinions on their experiences and upbringing and so forth and then somehow make it expertise. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete